Brain: What’s going on, Kristian? Are you stuck for inspiration again?
Me: Well, yeah … *looks down*, but I have this unstoppable urge to make something I don’t know what yet but I want to make the best music in the universe and history of all things and all times and I want to do it now despite not being able to think of a single good idea A.S.A.P.!
Brain: It has worked for us before, and here’s what to do:
- Snap out of the imaginary future, and into the present. The future doesn’t exist yet, and you can’t change the past. Re-read “The Power of Now” or “Way of the Peaceful Warrior“.
- Enjoy the moment. Making music was fun when you first inserted the Dance eJay 3 disc a decade ago. It’s even more fun now that you’re a wizard.
- Stop taking yourself so seriously. People’s lives don’t depend on you. You’re just a guy playing with sound legos on your computer.
- Make the silliest/shittiest music imaginable. Get those GM sounds going, baby! Detune! Music theory is imaginary! You now love those horrible audio effects you never use! Excessive sidechain compression! Jolly blip-blop!
- Okay, so that turned out pretty horrible/amazing, and you had a great time doing it. Repeat the process until you unexpectedly get a good idea. Make background loops out of those horrible projects, and insert them to the good ones.
Kristian: Well, the first points sound reasonable, but won’t point 4 and 5 cast me into silliness oblivion?
Brain: Dunno. Maybe the silliness enables the free mindset required for really good ideas? Don’t ask me, I’m just a brain.
Kristian: I suppose so. It has worked before come to think of it. I guess I’ll just keep doing that until I find out how to make good music every single time.
Brain: Making good music isn’t anything to sweat over. Just do as I say – spread and inspire the free and wonderful wizard mindset in yourself and others. This is how it works, trust me on that!
Kristian: You’re just a yucky lump in my head; I have problems trusting yucky lumps, and I suppose many people do. But then again, you do a very good job at keeping me alive and stuff.
Brain: No brain, no gain.
Collections of silly bits and pieces
Firstly, I’ve gathered quite a bit of my tunes dating all the way back to 2000/2001 at my old music site. You’ll hear a pre-teen let loose with Dance eJay 3 and a microphone.
As of lately, I’ve become quite fond of chiptunes and soundfonts. Check out my jolly blip-blop tunes at SoundCloud